(as at August 1809)
list is included with the Builders and may be found there)
David TAYLOR (in 1821 became Light-house Storekeeper at
*George DORWARD (mate)
Sutherland BREMNER (cook)
George DALL (narrowly escaped the Press Gangs in 1810)
*DORWARD and MILNE were dismissed for their part in the
“mutiny”. Others involved in the incident were: William
BROWN, George GIBB, Alexander SCOTT, John DICK, Robert COUPER,
Alexander SHEPHERD, James GRIEVE, David CAREY, William PEARSON,
Stuart EATON, Alexander LAWRENCE and John SPINK.
John PETERS (steward, of "Sir Joseph Banks"
Note - This year (2004) saw the Sir Joseph Banks RHS
Bicentenary. Dick Dawson (Sussex) in this
context researched the eventual career and demise of the
"On October 4th Sir Joseph Banks sailed for Leith
to be sold. It is quite likely that she needed a substantial
refit at this point, as remaining constantly on station
at the rock in fair weather and foul would have taken its
toll. Stevenson watched the vessel leave with regret. He
described her as “this beautifully moulded ship”.
In 1811 the schooner was sold for £1,510.
"Sir Joseph Banks’s history can be traced for
nearly another 40 years through Lloyd’s Register.
In 1812, she was skippered by W Fleet, owned by J Mitchell
and shown as being in A1 (1st class at Lloyd’s) condition.
"For the next 20 or so years she traded coastwise
and changed ownership three times. During that time she
had her share of wear and tear and the Register shows various
underwater repairs and a new deck.
"In 1833 she changed hands again and the new owner
J Spence re-rigged her as a brig. By this time she was classed
E1 (3rd class, but good condition). She kept to the same
waters, being attached to Leith but sailing to the Orkneys
as well as mainland Scotland.
"In 1843 Spence gave her a refit, re-instating her
schooner rig and doing enough work to raise her back to
Æ1 (1st class, 2nd division).
"In 1847 the Register shows master as J Murray and
owner Mooat [Mowat?]. Sadly, the entry is accompanied by
the single word “Wrecked”. The circumstances
"It seems that Sir Joseph Banks was still trading
at the time she was wrecked. If she was, it shows an extraordinarily
long life of 40 years in regular, hard use. Stevenson’s
instincts about the schooner were right."
82 tons - 67 ft x 16 ft x 6 ft
Mr James WILSON (also Landing Master latterly became one
of the Harbour-masters at Leith)
John REID, (mate; became first Principal Light-house Keeper
of the Bell Rock; retired in 1821 and succeeded by Mr Thomson
MILNE, ex-reflector maker).
D. HAY (cook)
Alexander SCOTT (younger brother of James Scott who was accidentally
John BLACKWOOD (mate)
Thomas ELLIOT - (cook, Floating Light, left the service
in March 1808 and went to the West Indies).
Capt. George SINCLAIR (left the service May 1808; earlier
in the works commanded the Floating Light).
Mr Thomas CALDER (commanded the Floating Light in Feb.1809).
About 40 tons
Mr William REID
Peter SOUTER (mate); also one of the Praam-masters during
John SPINK (cook)
Capt. James MACDONALD, (master of the "Patriot"
in April 1809).
Mr SPINK (succeeds Capt. Macdonald as master of the "Patriot").
42 tons - 55 feet
Mr Robert POOL
Thomas MACURICH (mate; eventually became master of the Bell
Other vessels connected with the works:
Alexander (a boat hired from Aberdeen; also used
to transport stones from Aberdeen and Mylnfield, near Dundee)
Hedderwick (*praam boat used to transport the blocks
of stone to the Rock)
Fernie and Dickie (two other *praam boats
built at Arbroath launched in April 1809)
* Stevenson gives the dimensions of these boats at about
28 ft by 8ft 6 in, with the depth of hold at 2 feet.
The Mason and The Seaman (boats of 20 feet
in length specially built to transport the artificers from
the "Sir Joseph Banks" to the Rock). The
latter was fitted up as a Lifeboat after, what Stevenson
called, Greathead's method "being lined and girded
with cork to the depths of three streaks below the gunwale."
On testing the buoyancy of the vessel she was found to float
with 30 men on board.
James SCOTT (aged 18, drowned accidentally, Sept. 21, 1808;
his younger brother, Alexander, was taken on shortly afterwards)
James SPINK - Bell Rock pilot (his timely arrival at the
Rock averted a potential disaster).
Henry LEASK, (one of the temporary keepers left in charge
of the lighthouse during the winter of 1810; formerly a
Capt. GLOAG (left the Service in late 1807; replaced by
Mr Tom FERNIE (builder of the “Sir Joseph Banks”;
launched Arbroath, January 1808).
John PRATT (seaman, mentioned in example of Impressment